My slow cooker is by far my favorite kitchen appliance. Making this slow cooker bacon, egg and hash brown bake on the counter on my meal prep day leaves my oven free for roasting veggies, making a sheet pan meal, or any other thing my slow cooker can’t do. Appliance multitasking is one of my favorite meal prep tricks, and this slow cooker egg bake is a perfect example!
Cooking your egg bake in the slow cooker frees your oven up, and also ensures you’re not peaking in on the egg bake every 5 minutes to make sure you don’t over cook it. I swear, a few extra minutes in the oven and suddenly your egg bake is dried out and and half of it is stuck to the bottom of the baking dish.
This slow cooker egg bake might not come out of the crock pot in nice slices, and it’s more like a casserole, but the eggs are creamy, veggies are perfectly cooked and you didn’t have to do any work!
It’s totally Whole30 compliant, but, if you’re making this for yourself or someone who doesn’t eat Paleo or Whole30, feel free to sprinkle some cheese over the top, or even over half of it! I do that for my boyfriend every once in a while, and it just goes to show you how easy it can be to please a variety of eaters by making slight adjustments!
Speaking of adjustments, you can add other veggies to this such as broccoli or spinach. Or, instead of bacon, switch it up by using ground sausage or kielbasa! Make sure you cook it prior to putting it into the slow cooker still though, if you’re using ground sausage.
If you’re going to try this as an overnight slow cooker bake, I’d add a bit more coconut milk and maybe a few extra eggs and cook it on low. I have *not* tested this method, but those would be my recommendations to avoid having eggs that are super dry when you roll out of bed the next day.
- 10 eggs
- 1 pound hash browns
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 package bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste!
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste!
- Cooking spray to coat slow cooker
- Optional: green onions to garnish, additional salt and pepper, or top with hot sauce!
- Lightly coat slow cooker with oil
- Mix hash browns, green peppers and onions and add to slow cooker
- Top with chopped bacon, evenly coating hash brown and veggie mix
- In a bowl, beat eggs with coconut milk, salt and pepper
- Pour over bacon and veggies in the slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2.5 hours