I’ve been utilizing one pot meals lately. Summer in Minnesota is short and even when it’s muggy and gross out, I try to take advantage of it. That means not spending a ton of time cooking during these short months. After a long afternoon outside, this one pot creamy chicken and veggies was just what I needed.
Of course I threw bacon in it, because… bacon. I also added the fresh veggies I had on hand that I picked up from the farmer’s market. Please don’t run out and buy exactly what I used here! If you have zucchini but no green beans, use that instead! When I make this dish, I honestly just use the bones of the recipe as a base and plop in whatever I’m feelin’ that night.
My idea of “one pot meals” mean that they’re EASY and fast. In my house they’re usually unplanned and not something I have to run out to the store to go get! Another reason why I always keep cans of coconut milk and other staples around.
Some other one pan or one pot meals you can draw some inspiration from might be
This recipe does call for coconut milk. If you’re not a huge coconut fan, don’t worry! I swear you can hardly taste it after the bacon, veggies, seasoning and red wine vinegar is mixed in. It just creates a perfect creamy consistency without a super overpowering coconut flavor.
If you don’t have red wine vinegar you can totally use white wine. If you’re doing a Whole30, both red and white vinegars are approved so you’re A-OK there. I used a little more than 1/2 a can of coconut milk but if you like it more or less creamy, use a little more or a little less coconut milk! It’s easily customizable to your preferences.
This healthy creamy chicken is seriously so good. I’m not just saying that because I made it either. My boyfriend loves it and we finish off the pan to ourselves. He keeps telling me to double the recipe… which is what I always tell you guys to do so maybe next time I’ll take my own advice!
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1/2 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced white onions
- 1 cup green beans, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook bacon slices
- Remove bacon and set aside
- Remove bacon fat from pan, leaving 1-2 tablespoons
- Add in white onion and let cook for 1-2 minutes
- When onion becomes translucent, add in chicken
- Allow chicken to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once chicken is about halfway cooked, add in green beans and mushrooms
- Let cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Pour in coconut milk, bacon, spices and balsamic vinegar and stir
- Bring the pot to a slow simmer
- Let cook for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken and veggies are cooked thoroughly
- Note: If the liquid is too thin still, add in 1 tablespoon tapioca flour and whisk into the liquid and allow to simmer an additional 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and enjoy!